I don't know how expensive acquiring the mutex is, but it doesn't appear to
be lightweight. At least not on MacOS X. I'm hoping that incremental GC
allows more work to be done without needing the mutex. I suspect, however,
that getting good multi-threading support going in conjunction with
incremental GC support is probably the best course with respect to
performance.

Mark