>I've discovered that short comments in lua, ala:
>
>-- this is a comment
>
>...don't work properly on the mac.

It sure does. I have Lua running on my LC III with no changes.

>That's because the compiler is looking for a new line by searching for
>"\r\n".  Whereas on the mac, a new line is simply "\r".

Not true. The compiler is looking for "\n". It's the job of the C library
to translate incoming end-of-lines to "\n". That's what ANSI C says.

Perhaps you're using a file created on a different system and not translated
as a text file during transfer.
--lhf