>I would expect values in the _Lua stack_ to be checked. But apparently
>even lua_rawgeti doesn't do it.

Our policy on checking is that we concentrate effort on ensuring that the
host program cannot be crashed from a Lua script, so that when you add Lua
to your application you can rely on its safety. On the other hand, when you
program in C, then you're on your own, as usual (try sending NULL to one of
the string or file functions in the C standard library).

>Recompiling the library with the checks enabled is not possible because I
>don't want users to have to go through that process

Which users do you mean? Do you have users that program in C? If so, do you
really want to hold their hand?
--lhf