> -- create a lookup db that uses the SPLAY data structure
> -- internally and allow duplicate keys.
> db=assert(ldb.create("SPLAY", true))

That reminded me of a dictionary type I once wrote for Lua (to manage
dynamic ordered sets of records.)  I admit that I never had much use for it,
so it might just fall in the category of

but it is kind of neat anyway.  It is AVL based and 100% Lua.  And as
dictionary types go, it is not half bad, options wise.  So I put it up on my
site

http://members.chello.nl/~w.couwenberg

and included some documentation.  Have fun!

--
Wim