On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:10:50 +0300
Asko Kauppi <asko.kauppi@sci.fi> wrote:

> What do you mean by 'native'?  There's got to be some non-Lua graphics > stuff underneath such formation. You could use SDL, it's certainly
> fast enough, and many Lua-only games exist on it.

I agree, let me rephrase my thought:

What I am really talking about is having some kind of standard set
of lua data structures for GUI development, but more in a sense
of "let's program a GTK-like toolkit using lua instead of C".
Then you could have a number of appropriate graphical backends.

Why is that?  A GUI toolkit like GTK does many things (in a somewhat
complex way) that a Lua VM can handle much naturally.  Hence, it feels
like overkill to have Lua + bindings to a toolkit that replicates
part of this same functionality (with signalling, reference counting,
blablabla).

Note that I am talking about standard code, which would be activelly
developed and widely deployed (in the same way STL that is standard to
C++).

It could be an interesting project... lua stuff is interesting by
default :o)

--
Rafael Jannone           Just remember: wherever you go,    __O
ICQ # 10115284                   there you are            _`\<,_