Selling it now with the promise of a free "upgrade" to the final version would be fine for me.  I wouldn't bother with the donation system, if I were you.  You worked hard on that book and I think that you should be compensated for it.  Every hour that you worked on the book you sacrificed something else in your life (time with friends, loved ones, etc.) and I think that is worth something.  I think that for an electonic book US$20-40 would be a bargain and you would get a lot of sells at that price.  When you get up into US$50+ you might make people think twice.

If you want to donate a portion of the proceeds to the Lua cause as a sort of fundraiser, that is up to you and might not be a bad idea.

The bottom line is that I would rather reward you for a providing valuable resource that helps me in business so that it is worth your time to make more valuable resources for me.  If this book was a collaborative effort or was produced by the entire Lua community then I would feel different about charging for it, but assuming it was a solo effort, I hope you do well with it.  Just my thoughts.

- Brett