on 5/8/03 4:24 AM, Daniel Silverstone at dsilvers@digital-scurf.org wrote:

> If my program has, for argument's sake, two hundred thousand individual
> strings, all different. And I read a new string in from an input file;
> then how much work is done to determine whether lua can save the, let us
> say 64 bytes of, storage for the string? Also, how much memory is Lua
> using in order to make those checks efficient?
>
> I'm not saying it's a bad thing that Lua is memory efficient; I am
> merely trying to determine if this is something which will eat CPU in my
> case.

I think the reason Lua does this is not so much a matter of memory savings
as making it easy to use strings to index tables.

If all you were doing was string manipulation and you never used tables,
then it could quite conceivably hurt you. How much is something I leave to
the experts on Lua's implementation to comment on.

Mark