> By the way, why not to use object reference counts and base
> I am just wondering if you have ever
> considered this as an option for Lua's GC.

I swapped from Python to Lua for embedding because of reference counting
;-). There was a discussion about this a while back if you have a look
through lua-l. Someone even patched Lua 4 to use ref counting. A couple
of reasons are: cyclic referencing stops collection, and reference
counting user objects is more erroneous. Mark and sweep is simple and
avoids both these problems.

/Nick