Hey, I'm back...

>>My experience is that this reduces the amount of spam a great deal,
>>but not enough, while at the same time making life very difficult for
>>list members that post from a different address than the one they
>>subscribed to the list. (I'm one of those, and so not very
>>impartial. :-)

>I'm on a number of high-traffic lists where posting is restricted to
>members and I can't recall the last time I saw spam on one of them.  If the
>new list is on something like Mailman, then you can subscribe both
>addresses, and set one of them to not receive email.  Though I doubt there
>are many people who will need to do this.

I am amongst those... I subscribe to mailing lists and newsletters with the
pl-mlnl account, and here I
receive only these mails, and send messages only to subscribe and
unsubscribe.

I send messages with the PhiLho account, as I want to receive private
answers here.
I just disable sending of mails to this account.
A bit complicated, but it works.

>> I'm just hoping that the move will not break the gmane.org newsseerver
>> access - which is what I use. It's very convenient to read the list
through
>> their newsserver, I wouldn't want to lose that.

>I don't know how gmane gets its data, but I don't think there will be
>any problem to keep it.

They just subscribe like a regular user... There is no problem, they handle
a number of private mailing
lists this way.

Speaking of the ML, I was happy to see the new interface to the archives.
Along with the lua-users.org one
(useful for linear reading), we got a good tool. I think the ML page at
lua.org should be updated to add this
link, it is currently only on the news.

I was surprised and amused to see I am in the top ten mailers... Even as I
was silent lately, due to lack of
time: I moved to another appartment, I was fired with 8 other peoples, and I
got a new baby on
December 14... Now I am caching up the latest messages...

Regards.

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)