> This politeness is reserved for programmers using Lua code. C
> programmers should be "Real Programmers" ;-)

A fair point - though for "Not-Very-Real Programmers" like me, one of the
(many) nice features of Lua is that in practice it's very polite from both sides.

I tried enabling api_check(), but it didn't help. The problem seems to be that
in luaA_indexAcceptable(), the checked expression in

  api_check(L, index <= L->stack_last - L->base);

evaluates to true even with an invalid index. (Replacing this line with the
equivalent from the previous function seems to fix this problem - but will it
create others?)

jwb