Well, in Lua 5 Beta I am using there is no function named luaL_getn. There is however a function aux_getn used internally by the table library. This function assumes the table always being at index 1. If this is what got promoted to luaL_getn, then I would agree with you on that such an assumption is a problem Lua 4 didn't have. Looks like an oversight that needs to be fixed unless this behavior is intentional.

AB