Regarding the spam, it seems to me that a simple spam filter would get
rid of the majority of the junk. Maybe not all, but would 95%+ be
acceptable?

The reason I ask is that we developed a filter (in lua), that monitors
the SMTP transaction between a sender and our server. It's based on
accumulating points for things that occur during the transaction, and if
the points total reaches a predefined threshold, then the message gets
blocked.

It's virtually transparent, and because we really like lua & the list is
pretty low volume, we could set up a filter for the list for free. All
you need to do is point your MX records to our servers and let us know
the domain name of your actual MTA, so we can pipe the data through to
it when a connection is made.

No changes would be required on your end except for the MX records. And
we'd do it for free.

Also, because the filter is in control of the SMTP protocol, we could
have it translate email addresses, or redirect the message between
domains. For example

1. change the list address to lua-l@lua.org
2. point the MX for lua.org to our servers
3. change the *actual* list name to something different, e.g.
lua-secret@tecgraf.puc-rio.br
4. When our filter sees "RCPT TO:<lua-l@lua.org>", it rewrites it to
"RCPT TO:<lua-secret@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>"

Pretty much anything is possible; if you're interested, let me know. If
you want to see what it's caught lately, see
<http://www.infinitegravity.ca/spamlog.asp>.

--
Rick Vandenberg