John Belmonte wrote:
>It could be done, and the domain can be set to anything.  However, I wouldn't
>feel comfortable requesting a project from sourceforge just for a mailing list,
>and doubt it would get approved if we were honest about our intentions.

We already have a SF project for Lua, lua-users, right? Can't we add
a mailing list to it? You've probably answered this before here but I
forgot, or SF may have changed.

The name of the list would have to be lua-users-xxx@sf.net? That's fine.
We could have lua-users-general, lua-users-announcements, etc, right?
We could start with lua-users-l or if possible simply lua-users@sf.net.
It'd be nice to have lua-l but I don't think it's a must.

>I don't think sourceforge is a good long term solution. They may change
>their policy one day. They may disappear one year. Also, as Thatcher
>mentioned, they attach advertisements to list postings.

Right, but how long is long term? The current list exists since 1997 as
a majordormo list; the current list server written in Lua runs since mid
2000. It's now showing its shortcomings as the list got larger and the
spam annoyance became the spam curse. So, it's time to move on. It may
be happen again if we move to SF, in a year or two. But who can provide
a better long term guarantee? I mean, if SF dies in a year or two, we'll
have to find someplace else to host lua-users.org, right?

The ad thing is an annoyance and it may get worse. Witness what happened
with Yahoo Groups...

Is there a real alternative to SF? I mean, is there a large company (?)
that hosts mailing lists freely and that has a long life expectancy?
Does gnu.org offers this? If so, could we use it, even if Lua is not a
GNU project?
--lhf