>One downside is that each message comes with a little two-line text
>advertisement attached to it.

But this is barely noticeable in practice, and the benefits are
pretty compelling.

>Pair Networks currently offers a free mailing list service for web
>hosting customers ( http://www.pairlist.net ).

I've seen it hiccup and barf several times on very small mailing
lists.  apparently they centralize their lists on a few servers, and
one of them is regularly getting hammered.  They've promised to
address this, but so far I'm not sure if it's actually been fixed.

>I would definitely like to see Luiz relieved of this chore, so I
>guess I'm a semi-reluctant volunteer for running the list, if no one
>else is interested.

I think going the sourceforge route may be the best approach.  Tom
Hubina and I co-host multiple mailing lists, including gd-algorithms
which is > 2000 subscribers, through sourceforge and haven't had any
problems except for the occasional philosophical run-in with the
admins over things like default reply-to, etc.

Brian