On Mar 23, 2003 at 11:06 -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

> I've asked this here several times in the past, but I'll try again:
> can someone install and manage a list server and host lua-l? Perhaps
> someone already manages a list server and it's a matter of simply
> adding another list.  Ideally, it could be done at lua-users (that
> is, sourceforge), but I don't know how good the sourceforge mailing
> lists are.

My opinion: the sourceforge mailing lists are just fine.  I've seen
faster, and the archives leave something to be desired, but they are
reliable, very easy to administer, and free.  I'm on a bunch of
sourceforge lists, and I administer a couple of low-volume ones.  One
downside is that each message comes with a little two-line text
advertisement attached to it.

Pair Networks currently offers a free mailing list service for web
hosting customers ( http://www.pairlist.net ).  I host with them so I
could conceivably sign up for a list to run lua-l.  I've never used
their list services so I don't know about speed, reliability,
archives, etc, but their other services are extremely solid.  I think
they use Mailman, like sourceforge.  The downside there is that they
are reserving the right to start charging for the service.  AFAIK the
pairlist service has existed for a couple years at no charge, and they
have a long history of not increasing their prices, so it seems like a
fairly low risk.

I would definitely like to see Luiz relieved of this chore, so I guess
I'm a semi-reluctant volunteer for running the list, if no one else is
interested.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com