Hi all,

Thanks for all the nice feedback.

John Mckenna wrote:
Roberto Ierusalimschy writes:
<snip> I always get one side of each sheet upside-down...
I did, and it would have worked.  HP something-or-other
printer, set to double-sided 'book' mode <snip>

Booklet printing is quite a minefield... :-) It occured to me late last night that (portrait-duplex != landscape-duplex) in terms of how the pages are arranged to be printed. I'll put up an A4/Letter version in a day or two; in the meantime, there's the OpenOffice.org sources.

The end result looks great.  I should have made half a dozen,
because I know this copy is going to fall apart from over-use
in no time :-)

Well, to make my Perl booklet last longer, I use traditional self-adhesive plastic film for the front page, and some cellophane reinforcement where the pages are stapled. The plastic film is good against coffee spills, too. :-)

I have put the 'updating to ver 5' plans on hold for a short while, having not done much yet. Thinking of switching to TeX (there are really good reasons for that,) but first I am looking into a rather wacko idea -- writing the booklet sources in PS.

PS can be really quite readable if the available PS formatting functions are used. As it is, most 'free' PS/PDF conversion methods leaves text encoded with fixed formatting information. I'll try something small in PS and see if the PS code is reasonably :-) readable, editable, malleable and maintainable. Directly writing PS eliminates WYSIWYG formatting inconsistencies, and eliminates the need to install TeX in order to roll your own custom version.

Now, I'll go over to add a Wiki entry...
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)