I believe that Lua will be at a crossroads after release 5: the language
authors will have to choose between freedom to perfect the language forever,
and stability to allow Lua to reach wide usage and be used for large
applications.

Perhaps I am not the typical programmer, but I stopped studying Lua when the
intention to release v.5 was announced; I am now waiting for the final v.5
release to study it from scratch, as if it were an altogether new language:
the differences seem to me to be too subtle to be learned just as, well,
differences.

What I mean is: you can't build a palace on shifting sands. I have a couple of
projects in mind (maybe I'll never be able to finish them, but that's another
matter), but they require a rock-solid foundation. Yes, I could use Lua 4,
but it seems a shame for new projects.

Lua is a wonderful language, even without using any of its advanced features.
It deserves to become well-known and well-used.
I think it's time to stop adding features (apart from transparent improvements
like generational gc) and start building on it.

  Enrico