Asko Kauppi wrote:

Yes, a "carry around" language is what we'd expect to gain. Meaning, something that fits on a floppy ;) and doesn't need installation. [...]

Exists today. Two dozen platforms. Been there, done that. Is called "tclkit".

Gabor Grothendieck kirjoittaa torstaina, 27. helmikuuta 2003, kello 15:35:

Alex Bilyk asked:
I guess the bottom line question is this. Is there anything I can't
do in Perl or Python today that I would be able to do with
LuaCheia eventually?

This is a good point. Existing scripting languages including Perl, Python and Ruby are pretty good already which leaves less room for a newcomer.

The untapped hole in the "market" which lua is going after is embedded languages but are there other holes too that LuaCheia or similar lua distribution might fill?

I have one idea. Rather than positioning Lua, LuaCheia or similar project against the above cited scripting languages, it should be positioned against awk. Awk is small, elegant, widely used and easy to carry around (its just one executable file). It is aimed at text processing. At the same time awk is showing its age.

Lua is even more powerful and elegant.  [...]

It all sounds so "me too" ... every scripting language seems to do the same: "let's redo everything, but with X as basis instead of Y". With all due respect: <yawn>

If the Lua community really wants to make a difference, then IMO there is one big glaring hole which Lua might just fill in a phenomenally effective way:

   A "systems-scripting" language in which a growing range of functions
   are implemented, and which is embeddable *in* several other scripting
   languages (as well as stand-alone in a full-Lua context, of course).

Redo the world, create lots of well-crafted modules, be a foundation, and make it available for Perl, Python, Ruby, and Tcl. As well as C, Java, whatever...

Market dynamics and mind-share will do the rest - once people realize that by improving such a Lua foundation they can make advances available to a much wider audience than any single language has done so far.

Just my € .02 ...

-jcw