Yes, a "carry around" language is what we'd expect to gain. Meaning, something that fits on a floppy ;) and doesn't need installation. Not meaning that anyone would actually _use_ a floppy but the 1.4MB is a nice binary size anyways. Including a bunch of useful modules, as you stated.

I'd let others do the comparisons. We'll let Lua do the talking. :)

-ak

Gabor Grothendieck kirjoittaa torstaina, 27. helmikuuta 2003, kello 15:35:

Alex Bilyk asked:
I guess the bottom line question is this. Is there anything I can't
do in Perl or Python today that I would be able to do with
LuaCheia eventually?

This is a good point. Existing scripting languages including Perl, Python and Ruby are pretty good already which leaves less room for a newcomer.

The untapped hole in the "market" which lua is going after is embedded languages but are there other holes too that LuaCheia or similar lua distribution might fill?

I have one idea. Rather than positioning Lua, LuaCheia or similar project against the above cited scripting languages, it should be positioned against awk. Awk is small, elegant, widely used and easy to carry around (its just one executable file). It is aimed at text processing. At the same time awk is showing its age.

Lua is even more powerful and elegant. A Lua distribution which had a few built-in libraries which are aimed at text processing (e.g. HTML, XML) and possibly related areas (e.g. internet) might be attractive to those who use awk but are looking for something very easy to learn and use yet more powerful than awk.

Get your own FREE e-mail account at http://www.volcanomail.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag