Asko Kauppi wrote:

I'd also prefer a one-time-installs-all approach as the primary goal.
Specifically, I'd like to have a 'putthis where you can find it and run the executable' kind of installation.

Thew only reason why I would currently 'need' an installer for ym Lua builds is to put the executable into my 'Path', so that I could doubleclick a .lua file to run it. Even in the case of external extensions needed, like say the SDL.dll, this can very nicely sit right beside the Lua.exe to be found.

I'm not sure if such 'ease of use' is possible or desirable on *IX systems.
Maybe I should also state what my intended 'audience' for such an distro is:
Desptop Users, who would like to have a powerfull yet very small scripting language, they might even be able to 'carry on a floppy' along with them (or quickly download on demand)
Those are the users IMHO who'd profit the most from LuaCheia.
I'm not aiming at system admins so much, as they would have Perl/Python/Ruby at their disposal, or would know how to install it if need be.

But this is jsut my very personal goal, and I do think LuaCheia could handle both user groups nicely.

However, alongside these 'full' releases (suits well with the Full Moon...;)
the internal structure should be modular, as discussed, and allow
removal/updating/adding of individual packages. Perhaps the latest versions
of the packages will only be available as separate entries.
Ideally, simply adding / removing files/dirs from the LuaCheia folder should do the trick.

This is much in analogy to the Linux distributions vs. individual components
thing. There's need for both. For winning new converts to Lua, the full
distro is the best.