I'm following this lua-cheia thing with quite a bit of interest. I am
not actually interested in something like that myself, but nonetheless
it is an interesting project.

I would like to suggest an entirely modular solution. Not just
everything in modules, but also a modular distribution, maybe similar
to the CPAN. Thus there would be a core distribution with some general
interest modules like for example networking, and the other modules
could be added to the distribution, maybe even with the aid of a
little program. Plus, for such a scheme, you would also need some sort
of dependency management between the modules.

This way you would also get around the license problem. The core
lua-cheia might be distributed under the lua license or something
similar. The additional modules can be under whatever license the
author chooses, without compromising lua-cheia.

One other thing I wanted to suggest is to use a mechanism for the
dynamic loadable exensions that can also be used with the standard lua
distribution. Or, in other words, the interpreter should not need to
be patched more than adding another library to it in order to use
dynamic loadable extensions. I don't know about GluaX, but loadlib
seems to fit that bill.

just my 3c,

Gunnar