I started a framework for it, I called it "Rio", where Lua is from - and
its quick to type ;). The approach I took was:

* Multiple Lua versions should be supported so the directory structure
should reflect this. i.e. current stable version and current working
version.

* Docs are important - I started a simple parser that take wiki style
format and generates HTML.

* Perhaps you should consider the new "premake" project for the build
system.

I could give you what I started (if I can find it at home), it might
supply a few ideas, I'm not saying it's a finished solution (or that
you'll like it :0). It was more an experiment than anything else. It got
left by the wayside though as I ran out of time and Python does
everything I need for a librified scripting language (a lot of this
discussion is probably covered in the links above). It's a lot of work
developing and maintaining libraries like this and they also need to
mature and interact which takes time. Still, I don't want to discourage
you all from doing this project as I might end using it :).

Regards,
Nick