>  Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:03:43 +0100
>  Björn De Meyer <bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be> wrote:

[...]
>  My idea is then for us Lua users to make a Lua Max
>  (or the same thing under another another name) wich
>  is a standalone Lua which comes with many useful,
>  yet mostly portable libraries built in. The target
>  platforms would be Posix, X Window, and Microsoft
>  Windows platforms. Included in this LuaMAX could be:
>
>  * Loadlib dynamic library support.
>  * A lightweight GUI toolkit, probably FLTK.
>  * SQL functionality.
>  * Complete regular expressions.
>  * Assistance for CGI, web-based programming.
>  * PThreads.
>  * Sockets.
>  * Extended math.
>  * Directory handling, filesystem manipulation.
>  * zlib compression support.
>  * Lua script repository that facilitates common
>    tasks such as OOP/inheritance programming.

Good Idea!

Basically,  IMHO we  need a  core Lua,  and some  more layers  of code
around it. The excellent Lua core  is there. But I think that we would
have a  much larger community  if there would  be a set  of canonincal
accompaniying tools.

The problem  is that  my time is  very limited,  at the other  hand, I
cannot get my hands off lua, so let's see..

tolua would be nice to have there.

I am trying to set up a numerical analysis tool similar to matlab, but
for partial  differential equations, which  needs access to  huge data
sets and handling of "native" arrays. I could contribute in this area.

Juergen Fuhrmann

PS: How is "Full Moon" in Portuguese ? This would be my suggestion for
the name...

                             Numerical Mathematics & Scientific Computing
               Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics
   Mohrenstr. 39 10117 Berlin    fon:+49 30 20372560   fax:+49 30 2044975
http://www.wias-berlin.de/~fuhrmann        mailto:fuhrmann@wias-berlin.de