Hmmm. I think I solved both problems. You were right
Ashwin. After building my own lua.dll and lualib.dll
instead of using the stock dlls from the Lua website,
the problem went away for both. So I think there is a
problem with the stock dll.

So I don't need to redefine _ALERT because it works
fine. And I no longer need to redefine print which
also works fine.

To the Lua maintainers, if you would like this new dll
or project file, I would be happy to supply it. I also
have a MacOSX library "Framework" (with installer) if
you're interested.

Thanks,
Eric