Peter Hill:

RLake@oxfam.org.uk:
> This has been hashed out at length on the mailing list, so I won't go over
> old ground again.

Fair enough. Sounds like we need a mailing list FAQ.

Peter Hill:

RLake@oxfam.org.uk:
> If a < b is not the same as b > a, then you probably shouldn't be using
> things that look like comparison operators.
>
> Having both < and <= is useful in cases where one or the other is easier
> to implement. In partial ordering, <= is often easier to implement. That's
> why.

If we had only one ordering metamethod, eg "a<b", and our situation was such
that it was easier to implement "c<=d" then we could simply assign "__lt =
function(a,b) return not easy_le(b,a) end"

Also, that doesn't explain why there is an asymmetry where "a <= b" will
default to "not (b<a)" if "__le" does not exist, while "a<b" does not
default to "not (b<=a)" if "__lt" does not exist.

*cheers*
Peter Hill.