I have been thinking of doing something simliar to what Alberto has
been describing(we already do something like this for our other
memory manager) but I am not sure that it will be enough to cut down
the amount of data being accessed because of the method that the
allocation/gc is being done already does lend it self to speed.

The way I was going to do it was to just throw memory at it(since I
am in eviable position of using LUA on server with alot of
memory)..taking it from a pre-allocated area and sizing it so that
each allocatable area is tuned to the largest size possible. This
means no best fit, no frag and hopefully big boost in speed. BUT I
put some tracers on the way LUA alllocates/deallocates memory and it
seems a better way would be just to predefine a memory 'pool' for
each script..since each script is basically running the 'same' logic,
pre-allocation of all necessary data would faster..

Hmmm..now if only I figure out how to do it the short time I have;-)
Do you think the new version of LUA will have multiple 'memory'
managers instead of 1, cause I think right now this is the biggest
thing that people always end up changing in lua.

Terence
Phoenix-GameStudios

www.phoenix-gamestudios.com

--- In lua-l@y..., "Alberto Demichelis" <alberto@c...> wrote:
> > What happens when you deallocate/free an object?
> Instead of keeping track of the pages we keep a linked list of feer
blocks for every chunk size,
> because they are "empty" we use the block himself as node of the
linked list so no memory overhead.
> When we create a page, the address of the first chunk is aligned in
a way that allow us to
> retrieve the page start address from the chunk address.The page is
ref counted(first 4 bytes).
> When we allocate a chunk we pop it from the free list and add a
reference to the page.
> When we free we put it back in the free list and we decrement the
reference if is 0 we free the page.

> I've took a quick look at dlmalloc, it looks not so far from our
approach exept for the implementation.