--- In lua-l@y..., Martin Spernau <martin@t...> wrote:
> Yes, I would have expected it to NOT work on win9x...
> Can anybody confirm/deny if this should work on win9x?

I've experimented a little bit on Win98 (second edition) with my pipe-
enabled version of Lua4 (compiled with lcc-win32 3.3).

I created a simple file:

   readfrom("| dir /b /s *.lua")
   o=read("*a")
   print(o)

and tried changing the command options (and the command itself).

It always worked flawlessy when executed from the command line
(.\lcc\lua -f test.lua) but I experienced a couple of system hanging
when I tried to give the commands interactively:

Lua 4.0.1  Copyright (C) 1994-2000 TeCGraf, PUC-Rio
> readfrom("| dir /b /s *.lua")
      HANGS (not always)!

I'm not so deep in the knowledge of Windows internals but I suspect
it depends on the way Win98 handles the console (Win2K is much more
predictable).

Hope it helps.

                                 Remo