>1) What is the current state of being able to switch Lua to using float
>instead of double?

It's simply a matter of setting  NUMBER= -DLUA_NUM_TYPE=float in the config
file. In 4.0.1 (the current version) there will remain a couple of doubles
in the code; this has been corrected in 5.0.

>2) Does Lua know the size of things that it is freeing?  We have a fast /

It does not use, but can use if your memory allocator needs it.

>3) Is there a timetable for 4.1?

4.1 has been renamed 5.0. An alpha version should be out in a two weeks or so.
--lhf