I am currently experimenting with such a scheme (lua state + debug stub on
target platform, binding to a tcp socket opened by the server side).
What I do is store all relevant information in the host application, and the
debugger is only a display (i am concentrating on the debugger features, and
my display is a console for now). Everything is stored in a table created in
the state's registry, including breakpoints.
Those are in a separate table, where the key is a string formed from the
file name and the line number, and the value is a lua string. The line hook
fetches an entry in this table, if non-nil, evaluates the lua string, and
breaks if the result is non-nil.
Since I don't intend to have several dozens breakpoints when debugging, I
hope the memory penalty should remain reasonable. Not sure a table access at
every line will speed up things, though :-)

Well, I'm not done yet, but I see no reason why it would not work, unless
evaluating a lua string is not possible inside the line hook ?

Cheers,

Benoit