>The 4..0.1 is called 4.0-update and should be found on every mirror
>(You can find it on my mirror ftp://ftp.hougaard.com/lua/dist/ )

Why there is not a word about it on http://www.lua.org/download.html?

And why only as a patch? It seems a bit confusing to me. Advocating Lua is
already hard (because of existing "beliefs"), but if I have to explain
"First download this file, then this other from somewhere else, then find a
Unix system, then de-gzip the files in this order, then untar them [try
explaining this to a Windows user], then transport them all back on your
box, fix this incompatibility with the Borland compiler [is it just my
senile memory?], then compile ignoring those "undefined structure"
warnings. See? Is was easy"...

Please understand that I write this because I like Lua a lot. I am
_definitely_ not advocating a Windows installer or something of that sort,
but most people is used to get a .zip file of the latest complete version
(as an alternative to a tar.gz). Removing a hurdle should do no harm.

  Enrico