On Jun 27, 2002 at 11:09 +0200, Magnus Hult wrote:
> In a message from Dec 10, 2001 Bret Mogilefsky wrote:
>
> > This is exactly the minimal behavior we need added to Lua proper to
> > enable all the other wacky things people will want to do [...] This
> > is the final piece (on top of the original rewrite to use lua_State)
> > that gives programmers all the thread/task/coroutine meta-mechanisms
> > they might want.
>
> I'm quite new to Lua, but I've followed this list for some time
> now. One thing I haven't been able to figure out, though; does anyone
> know which "original rewrite to use lua_State" the above quote refers
> to?

I think he's talking about the transition between Lua 3.2 and 4.0?  In
earlier versions many of the Lua function calls did not take a
lua_State* parameter, so it wasn't as straightforward to make
independent tasks.

> (I know that Lua 5.0w0 also gives me all the thread/task/coroutine
> meta-mechanisms I might want, but I'd rather stick to 4.0 for now.)

The yield() patch I made for 4.0 still has some annoying bugs (that
I'm not planning to fix -- the problems go beyond my level of
understanding of the VM), so that may be a good reason to switch to
5.0w0.  On the other hand, if it's working for you, then no worries.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com