I just want state my belief that this and other suggestions to make Lua more
inline with one groups conventions are valid, but should not be dwelled upon.

Nothing else like Lua exists, and at the same time Lua does not follow the
same open-source/*nix conventions for release methodology or licensing...

Lua developers must be doing something right. Just don't try to hard, it
could be damaging, like biologists assuming they know why nature did
something 'wrong' then 'fixing' it, only to discover repercussions.