Okay, I think I grasp the basics of the Lua GC situation.  So for those
of you actively using Lua in a real-time game engine, how are you
dealing with its hiccups?  Implementing your own GC, or just defensive
coding (e.g. calling the collector every frame, attempting to minimize
object creation, etc.)?  If the latter, what specific strategies are you
adopting?

I'm thinking of using Lua for a server project I'm working on, but the
hiccups absolutely can't happen.  Of course, if Lua could have the
collector run in another thread, that would solve a lot of problems =)
(Yes, in exchange for opening up a whole new set of problems).

Brian