Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> The drawback is that everyone using Lua would have to start it with
> something like
>
>   lua_open(&realloc);
>
> which is not exactly friendly...

Not really. Lua _open can do that behind our backs.
You keep the "callback functions"/"hooks" stored as
funcion pointers  somewhere in the Lua state. By default,
the state is set up by lua_open to use the default ANCI C
functions. The callback can then be changed by a new LUA api
call such has lua_set_callbacks(lua_state *,
lua_callback_struct *);

I can elaborate, and even suggest a patch, if you wish.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer
bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be