> Any thought for doing generic string type support, like numbers with the
> LUA_NUMBER?

We tried that, but gave up. It was too complex... Anyway, we try to
make sure that `char' is used in Lua only for characters (we use a
typedefed `lu_byte' for small integers). We also try to easy the task of
automatically inserting an `L' in all string/char literals.

But I guess the easiest way to use Unicode in Lua is with a multibyte
representation (e.g. UTF-8). Then, you mainly (only?) need a new string
library; everything else should work without modifications.

-- Roberto