----- Original Message -----
From: "Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo" <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <lua-l@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: Licensing.. ZLib

> >http://www.opensource.org/licenses/zlib-license.html
>
> >Hey, that is pretty darn close, and it's already approved.
> >The Lua team might consider adopting this one.
>
> Yes, it's pretty close. They both come form the original Henry Spencer
license,
> as far as I can tell.
>
> I find some points a little obscure:
>
> >Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>
> >
> >This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty.
> >In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from
the
> >use of this software.
>
> Just "the authors"? We'd like "the authors and the copyright holders",
> which in our case are different.

Your right this is probably incompatible. Since TeCGraf, PUC-Rio has the
copyright, a seperate entity from the authors, this might not be perfect for
your situation. This would be a good question for a lawyer. I think we could
bring this up to the opensource licensing guys.. as your one contention
with this license. They would be able to clarify the situation. If this was
valid issue, i'm sure they would then be willing to approve the Lua license
as a variant of the zlib/png license.

> >Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
> >including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
> >freely, subject to the following restrictions:
>
> "redistribute it freely": I find this ambiguous: Does this mean that
you're
> allowed it redistribute it freely (if you want to) or that if you
redistribute
> it then it must be free?

I'm pretty sure this means you are free to redistribute it, not that
you must distribute it freely. "Permission is granted.." (to) "redistribute
it freely". This is a permission clause, not a restriction clause.
Again, a good question for the lawyers.

Luiz, if you guys would like, i'd be happy to submit these
issues to the licensing board at http://www.opensource.org and post
their response if you guys don't have time for this. Let me know
if I can help.

Jim