> problem. My system uses only anti-aliased fonts,
> but Type3 fonts are only provided in PDF files as
> outlines, apparently.

outlines --> bitmaps (I presume that's what you meant, it's certainly the
case AFAIK).

>  Of course, the ideal would be to have the reference
> manuals in HTML, and then all my problems with other
> people's fonts would disappear.

This would be a good alternative. Maybe someone should have a go at
converting the manual with a LaTeX2HTML converter? I'd be happy to try
with my favourite, HeVeA, if the LaTeX sources were available.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | certain, a.  insufficiently analysed