On Feb 18, 2002 at 02:53 +0000, Rob Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 07:57:00AM -0500, John D. Ramsdell top-posted:
> > In my opinion, it would be best to select between the X11/Xfree86
> > license, the modified BSD license, or the GNU Lesser General Public
> > License.
>
> I'd avoid anything to do with the GPL or LGPL like the plague, as it only
> provides freedom for end users, not people who wish to create programs for
> end users.  BSD or MIT, in my opinion, seems a much better choice,

I agree: The MIT or BSD licenses are ideal.  MIT is a good fit for Lua
because it seems to be the shortest and simplest license at
http://opensource.org/licenses/index.html

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html

> but then
> again, I don't see anything wrong with the current license.

There's nothing wrong with it, except that it's unique, so it's a
little more legalese for users to read and interpret.

--
Thatcher Ulrich <tu@tulrich.com>
http://tulrich.com