>This is false.  Lua is not easy to install.  For autoconfig'ed
>systems, one simply types:
>
>$ ./configure
>$ make
>$ make install

In Lua, in a Unix system that has gcc, you simply type "make install"!

>The current Lua install method requires that one edit it's makefile.

Only if you want to do something other than the default. And it's a config file,
not the Makefile. As far as I can tell, the Makefile is pretty standard.
If not, I welcome suggestion on making the Makefiles more standard and portable.

Lua is 100% ANSI C. You only need an ANSI C compiler to build it.
There's no need for Autoconf because it does not depend on the OS.
--lhf