On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 06:57 PM, Daniel Silverstone wrote:

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 09:45:46PM -0200, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
I noticed you didn't expose lua_loadbuffer as an external symbol in
the shared library.

Lua 4.0 officially has no lua_loadbuffer and friends.
*Please*, package the official Lua 4.0 code. You may want to add the patch
as a separate thing, of course. Thanks.

Hmm, I can either package it in the "Debian version" of lua 4.0 or else I
could provide an "alternative" liblua package.

My current favourite is to make the symbol exposed but guard the definition
of it in lua.h with something like

#ifdef DEBIAN_LOADBUFFER
#endif

How does that sit with people?

The only other thought I have is to NOT change their names, but just remove the static flag. That way, liblua.so is not exporting anything new in the public lua_foo namespace.

The alias lua_loadbuffer could then be applied either through a #define or a function exported in another library. Or maybe better yet, we throw it in the Debian namespace like dllua_loadbuffer.

In any case, the goal is to make sure developers using this function understand that it is not a standard function. If Debian users were building from source, we could just tell them to apply a patch to the pristine sources, but they use binaries, and there are significant benefits to maintainers, developers, and end-users in not shipping two conflicting versions of a shared library when the differences are so small.

(BTW, Debian regularly ships heavily patched versions of other interpreters. tk8.0 through tk8.2 ship not only with a full set of internals include files, but also with the "plus" patch applied, which exports significant user-visible functionality.)

Jay