> 3) code-safety features such as "require variable
> declarations" or static typing (ala unrealscript)

IMHO a lot of errors can be traced back to these two
situations, well in my code at least. :-)

Const-correctness is another one. And it can be
applied at compile to byte code time, rather than
at run time. ala C++

My other pet hate is the way things get automatically
cast to fit the situation. I always feel that they
should be explicit. Or it it just me?
Silly (non lua) example below.

  complex a = 1.0, 2.0;
  number  b = 7;
  string  c = string(b);  //ie string string(number);
  string  d = string(a);  //ie string string(complex);

> >  4) compiling Lua code into C

Compile byte code into C.