> Windoze isnt "most systems" ;-D It is a pain the MS go off and do their own
> thing. Its quite often for no benefit. But then theres Mac, RISCOS, and
> other systems (I've no idea how they work, sorry) that should be catered
> for. I suppose my point is that Lua should easily build on any ANSI C system
> but not all ANSI C systems cater for the *nix make file format.

As a veteran of weird systems I can report that there is a make for RISC
OS (I ported it!) and of course Mac OS X. This is really an irrelevance,
though, I shouldn't have mentioned make.

> I'm not saying it should be relied on, merely that you should be able to
> unzip Lua, cd to Lua and nmake Lua as easily as you can make Lua using *nix.

No you shouldn't, not in the core dist. make is the most widely usable
standard; if it causes more harm than good, there should be no make file
either in the core Lua dist; instead, perhaps a lua script for building
could be supplied. Perhaps even a simplified makefile that works with
nmake as well?

> The authors have an interest in expanding the awareness of Lua, making it
> easy to build and play with is a good start.

Not in the standard dist which has a very wide audience, and wants to stay
away from this sort of platform-dependent detail. This sort of problem is
precisely why a much richer dist would be a good thing, supplying a nice
range of C libs, Lua libs, and platform support.

I work for a company that develops mostly for Windows, but we don't use
Visual Studio. Also, it costs money. Anyone using Windows can easily
download and install mingwin (a few Mb) which comes with make.

Oh dear, this is getting ridiculous. I'll shut up.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | computation, n.  automated pedantry