> Hence "tries" to be platform independent. The supplied makefile can be
> used under Windows with either Cygwin or Mingwin tools, so it's pretty
> close to platform independent. I admit that it doesn't work in the VC
> world.

I would suggest is most Windoze users dont have cygwin or mingwin installed
and would be a lot more comfortable using their chosen compiler than
adopting this solution. You still end up having to build the whole thing
yourself on whatever compiler is available with whatever build system you
have. Anyway I think your point was that you want a simple way to add
libraries in the code, not that there are cross platform build issues.

> > > become a job for an enhanced dist., with enhanced libs &c.
> >
> > Probably not as it would need updating regularly to
> incorporate fixes etc.
>
> Was that an agreement or a disagreement? "Updating regularly"
> sounds like
> just the thing for an enhanced dist, and just what you want
> to avoid for
> the standard dist.

I'm agreeing with your disagreement. It shouldnt be in the standard dist. as
it will be regularly altered. There should be an easy (multiple makefile
IMHO) way to build Lua quickly out of the box and potentially another system
which is more complex.

Regards,
Nick