> Doesn't really matter if it builds a
> vanilla one first

I assume you mean the most basic. Must be a term used by proper programmers
or big ice cream fans :-)

> But this introduces platform dependencies, which the standard
> distribution
> tries to avoid!

The make system is platform dependent. Try nmake (MS make) on makefile in
Lua. I dont know if the make specification supposed to be standard? And all
the paths etc are for *nix.

> This is *not* a job for the standard distribution, though it
> could easily
> become a job for an enhanced dist., with enhanced libs &c.

Probably not as it would need updating regularly to incorporate fixes etc.

Nick