Hi!

> 2. Use the compiler (as suggested) to perform the syntax
> checking.  Again I
> would need to re-route the text output, and have some mechanism
> for showing
> the user at what point the error is.  As its an exe in its own
> right, I need
> to think carefully about how I impliment this.

If you're using MS Visual Studio 6.0, you might be interested in what i did
for this:
I've set up a Tool (and assigned it to a key) in Visual Studio to do Lua
syntax checking.
The script also shows all global variables that are created in a file, which
makes it easier to find temporary variables that are not defined as "local"
yet.

Find attached my lua (4.0) script that does the dirty work of mapping
luac-errors to an output that Visual Studio can understand.

Cheers,
Peter