Ah ok.  For a bit of background to my project, I will be trying to impliment
some kind of debugger, but first I just need to be able to have some kind of
syntax checking so the users of my application can 'test' their code before
actually running it.  I guess I have three options:

1. Don't do any syntax checking.  The script just gets executed when they
hit go.  Then I would need to know how to get the debug/error messages
outputted where I wanted them (not to stdout which I guess they goto at the
moment).

2. Use the compiler (as suggested) to perform the syntax checking.  Again I
would need to re-route the text output, and have some mechanism for showing
the user at what point the error is.  As its an exe in its own right, I need
to think carefully about how I impliment this.

3. Not use the compiler and write somthing my self.  My current knowledge is
much lacking at the moment to do this.

I am still in the early stages of using Lua, and the learning curve is
steep!

Chris Percival
Software Engineer
Interaxis Computing Ltd.