I've just run into a problem with the fact that settag can only be used
with tags created with newtag: if I want some operations on tables to copy
any table tag that is present, I must first check that it is not equal to
tag({}).

Also, it's conceivable I might want to "untag" a table, which would be
possible if I could say settag(t, tag({})).

Is there any reason why allowing this (i.e. "tag must be a value created
with newtag, or tag({})") would be a bad idea? If not, could this be
allowed in Lua 4.1?

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | perfect, a.  unsatirizable