I think PLEAC would be great, if only the text of "Perl Cookbook" were
freely available.  (You could get it at your local library but I'm sure
there would be a long waiting list.)

A chapter is available online (although certainly not free) at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook/chapter/ch08.html.  Maybe the
examples in this chapter could be done in Lua as an experiment.

This is not just an issue about paying for the book or not.  Is the "Perl
Cookbook" available in all languages?  If the text were available
electronically one could run it through translation software if their
foreign language skills were lacking.

-John