> Could it be easily fixed?

My libraries certainly can, but I don't propose to do so until I start
using Lua 4.1, which will be probably when the final beta comes out
(I'm not so worried about bugs, more about feature changes before
then). I don't want to start converting the code before then because
it is very much in flux (since I only started it about a year ago, and
I've only in the last few months been programming a lot in Lua), so I
don't want to duplicate work.

However, many of the functions don't use upvalues. If anyone's
interested in a cut-down version that (I assert) will work with Lua
4.1, ask, and I'll provide it.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | competent, a.  underpromoted