>I was wondering if (a) it would be OK to borrow heavily from this manual in the creation of my own

Yes, it's ok -- the copyright notice explicitly says that the package includes
the documentation and that the whole package is free. Nevertheless, you should
respect the restrictions listed in the copyright notice: reproduction of
the copyright line, avoid misrepresentation, explicit mark modified versions
as such.

>if someone has already created an end-user friendly version of the Lua manual.

Try the Yindo documentation at http://www.yindo.com/docs/ specially
http://www.yindo.com/docs/GettingStarted.html .
--lhf